The data produced by the internet of things (IoT) devices are processed closer to where it is created instead of sending it to data centers or clouds is edge computing. This allows organizations to analyze important data in near, a need of organizations across many industries including the healthcare sector. The advantages of edge computing in the healthcare industry include,
1. Rural medicine: Even today providing quality healthcare to rural areas is a challenge. With innovations in telemedicine and accessible health data, medical providers manage to deliver fast, quality care to people who do not have quick access to the hospital. Due to connectivity issues, traditional healthcare databases face potential challenges in delivering treatment. The combination of IoT devices and edge computing applications can solve these difficulties. Portable IoT devices with edge computing can gather, store and analyze patient data without having continuous contact with network infrastructure. By interacting with an edge data center IoT devices can extend the network enabling medical professionals accessing patient data.
2. Patient-generated health data: The IoT devices such as wearable sensors, blood glucose monitors make it possible for medical professionals to diagnose the problem and monitor patient health. The massive amount of data produced by these devices are valuable but also is unstructured not properly defined, which producing a challenge managing the data. Edge computing application provides a solution for this data management crisis by locating it on edge of the network.
3. Improved patient experience: IoT devices have the ability to transform customer experience by providing personal assistance for healthcare requirements.
4. Supply chain: IoT devices equipped with sensors have the potential to revolutionize medical facilities management. Machine failure, eliminating time-consuming paperwork, and manual ordering can be tracked with these devices. It can control the rising costs of organizations and offer an opportunity to gain operational efficiency.
5. Cost saving: Business costs can be reduced with the IoT devices. The savings come from security and surveillance, patient monitoring and engagement etc.
The healthcare industry stands to benefit immensely from IoT and edge computing is sure to deliver benefits in the future too.