Frequent cyber attacks and data breaches occurring today makes healthcare departments tending to invest in cybersecurity to prevent these threats. For taking sufficient safety measures, it is essential to be aware of the causes and potentialities of these vulnerabilities.
Cyber Security Challenges in Healthcare :
1. Cyber attackers use malware and ransomware to shut down devices, servers, and even networks. In some cases, ransom is demanded to decrypt of data.
2. A large amount of healthcare data is stored in the cloud, it can be a weak spot for the security of healthcare organizations.
3. Misleading websites are creating the illusion that they are reputable ones.
4. Phishing attacks are sending mass amounts of emails to obtain sensitive information from users.
5. Encryption of blind spots where hackers can hide from the tools meant for detecting breaches.
6. Employee error can leave organizations susceptible to attack through weak passwords and unencrypted devices.
Strategies for Improving Cybersecurity :
1. Establishing a cybersecurity culture with emphasizing on training and educating every member of the organization to protect critical data.
2. Protecting mobile devices used in care providing through encryption and other protective measures.
3. Employee onboarding must include best practices for the use of a computer including software and operating system maintenance.